In Mississippi, a High School That Hates Gay People So Much That They Cancel the Prom
I’m usually the snarky one who’s not fazed by wingnut nonsense, but this is disgusting:
If you’re a high school in Mississippi and you really don’t want your students bringing same-sex dates to the prom, what are you to do?
Well, you could try to ban them from coming to the prom, although that’s illegal. Or, if you’re the Itawamba Agricultural High School, you can cancel the prom altogether and punish everyone. That’s right. No gay couples. No straight couples. No prom.
Isn’t it amazing the depths folks will go in order to continue homophobic policies? That this school wanted to stop a lesbian student from bringing a same-sex date to the prom was outrageous enough. But to cancel the entire prom just to take aim at this student is punishing every single person in the school. So much for school’s acting in the best interests of their students.
The school is called Itawamba Agricultural High School. So I have two questions for the Itawamba County School Board:
1. Exactly how many self-loathing closet cases are on your board? Because this is extreme, even for Mississippi.
2. What’s wrong, Mississippi? Were you worried that Virginia was out-wingnutting you this week, and you had to do something grotesque to prove that you’re the dumbest, most unreconstructed bigots in the Union?
Later in the above quoted piece, we hear from the lesbian student:
The student at the heart of this case is a senior named Constance McMillen. Reached by the Clarion Ledger, McMillen said she was absolutely disgusted that her school would try to punish her by canceling the prom for everyone.
“Oh, my God. That’s really messed up because the message they are sending is that if they have to let gay people go to prom that they are not going to have one,” she said. “A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this, so in a way it’s really retaliation.”
Oh, but we’re supposed to believe that the Wingnut Right really cares about bullying of LGBT students? No, as Timothy Kincaid pointed out last year, some of their leading “pro-family” voices indeed view bullying LGBT students as a Christian duty.
They are the true sick people. Not happy, healthy LGBT people. We’re fine.
- Washington Post Ombudsman Sticks It to Homophobes Complaining About Same-Sex Kissing (6)
- Now THIS Is An Anti-Gay Hate Crime Wingnuts Can Get Mad About! (10)
- The Inherent Contradictions of the Social Conservative Worldview on Gender and Sexuality (15)
- Victoria Jackson Should Be Required To Wear A Helmet For Her Own Protection (4)
- Molotov Mitchell Is Really Just A Sad Little Tool, So No Worries (4)
|Print article||This entry was posted by Sniffer on March 11, 2010 at 4:38 pm, and is filed under Queer Stuff. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.|
Comments are closed.